I went to Tiger Temple. I did, I did, I did. I was warned by several people that I would feel terrible and the tigers are definitely drugged. I didn’t listen. I went to Tiger Temple anyway because I’m hard-headed and I was suuuuper curious about the tigers.
And let me tell you – some things just didn’t make sense
1) Where was the ‘Temple’ that required me to cover my shoulders and knees?
2) I saw a monk talking on an iPad the size of my face. Is that normal?
3) Is the labored breathing by the tigers really because of the hot weather or is it because the tigers are sedated/on heavy drugs? Let’s be real now.
4) Have there been any attacks recently… or ever?
5) When you let them ‘hunt’ at night – where exactly do they hunt? The area seemed a bit barren to me.
Throughout my 23 years of life I grew up with the idea that tigers, lions and bears (oh my!) are meant to be free and will eat things like me that get too close. I mean, my idea of a tiger is something like this:
Which ended up happening to this poor boy in Dehli
Going into the tiger ‘play area’ guided by a woman eating a bag of Cheetos seemingly paying very little attention to me seemed like I was asking to become a midday snack.
Will all of the tigers I took photos with it seemed as if only one tiger even realized I was present. As I put my arm next to him (like I did with all of the other tigers) he quickly rolled over with his paw facing me, mouth wide open, showing his teeth….I’d like to say I’m a quick thinking person, but the fact that the tiger actually noticed me had me stunned. I was thinking he was going to do some cool trick. I realized I was in a bit of danger when my Cheetoh-fingered guide yanked me away from the tiger, dragging me to my feet….Whatever.
Go to Tiger Temple or don’t…..I didn’t feel like being in their presence in the state they were in altered my life in any positive way but I did feel worse after leaving the ‘Temple’….. Don’t get it twisted, that doesn’t mean I wasn’t going to Insta a photo of me with the tiger. At least I’m honest!